Salesian College Women's Cell
University Grants Commission (UGC) recommends the measures for ensuring the safety of women and programs for gender sensitization on campuses. According to the task force appointed by UGC, the recommendations include the need for setting up Women’s Development Cell and Anti-Sexual Harassment Cell at colleges and universities. “Women’s studies centres in universities and women’s development cells in colleges must be strengthened and provided the means to function autonomously. At the same time they should be enabled to work together with gender sensitization cells and committees on campuses on educational and preventive work.”( page.7, http://www.ugc.ac.in/pdfnews/5873997_SAKSHAM-BOOK.pdf )
The Women’s cell at Salesian College was started with the aim of empowering and orienting women to recognize their true potential and to help them attain their own stand in a competing world. Its goal is the overall development of women in all spheres of their life. It also helps in creating awareness about important issues related to women and provides a forum for discussion and deliberation on a range of issues from empowerment to environment.
To empower women in all spheres of life enabling them to become agents of social and economic change and inculcating ethical values for the betterment of self, family and society.
To train women to acquire wide range of skills and knowledge, to develop and increase their social, economic and intellectual capacities for peace, security and prosperity of mankind.
1. Sensitize students on serious gender issues
2. Generate awareness of burning social issues for ensuring holistic education of students
3. Educate, empower and devise preventive measures for the prevention of gender bias and sexual harassment of students
4. To impart knowledge on legal rights of women
5. To conduct guest lectures by eminent people from different fields
6. To organize workshops on personality development
1. Regular meetings
2. Career guidance
3. Functioning of a counseling centre
4. Conducting health awareness classes
5. Arranging classes about community living
6. Celebration of International Women’s day
7. Celebrating women’s achievement
Ms. Rachel SalomitSitling(Secretary)
Ms. Snigdha Roy
Ms. Shruthi Chettri (Chairperson)
Ms. Nomu Sherpa (Secretary)
Ms. Sreha Agarwal
Ms. Priyadarshini Pradhan