Salesian College is a higher educational institution, educating students irrespective of caste, creed or gender bias and is a Government recognized, minority educational institution of the Catholic Church, run by Salesians of Don Bosco, Kolkata Province where over 393 students do regular B.A, BBA, B.Com & B.Sc studies under the North Bengal University.
Salesian College, established in Shillong, in 1933, was shifted to Sonada, in 1938. It comes under section 2(f) and 12 (B) of UGC Act of 1956. In 1935, SC received affiliation to the Calcutta University for I.A., and in 1948 for B.A. Courses in English, History and Latin followed by Economics in 1950. In 1962 its affiliation was transferred from Calcutta University as one of the following colleges of NBU.
It was in 1970 and 1979 that SC received affiliation for B.A. Honours Course in English and History respectively. Later on SC introduced Education and Philosophy as B.A. subjects. In 2006 it received affiliation for Education Honours course.
The College opened a Computer Skills Department in 2002, offering the DIT and ADIT courses of C-DAC, Pune, the Computer Application Certificate Course of NBU in 2004. Salesian College, Siliguri campus was inaugurated on 9th July 2009. Siliguri campus offers BA/BBA/B.Com/Honours courses in Accountancy and Management, B.Com General, B.Sc, Computer Science Honours with Statistics & Mathematics a General, B.Sc Maths Honours, B.Sc Computer Science and B.Sc Economics with COP courses in Travel & Tourism Management, Computer Application and Communicative English. In 2005, Career oriented programmes of Communicative English and Tourism & Travel Management have been initiated followed by Certificate course in Music from June 2007. SC is also recognized as an IGNOU study centre from May 2005 offering courses in B.A., B.Com. CIC and CLP. SC was accredited by NAAC on 16 September 2004 and was given the Grade C++ (Institutional Score between 65-70%). In subsequent two cycles of accreditation the college procured A Grade. On 26 February 2010 Salesian College has been conferred the status of a Centre of Potential for Excellence (CPE) by UGC, New Delhi.
Governing Body consists of the Principal, Rector, Bursar and other members of the college. It follows the direction of the Founder Body of the Province of Kolkata that consists of the Provincial, Vice Provincial, Economer and Council members.
Salesian College (SC), is guided by the religious and educational philosophy of St. John Bosco. We emphasise life-oriented value education and nurture a culture of solidarity. The educators and the educated join hands to mould intellectually competent, morally upright, socially committed and spiritually inspired persons capable of building a more humane social order within the context of the nation’s religious pluralism and cultural diversity. The motto of SC is representative of this shared vision of both staff and students to strive for genuine excellence whereby each one becomes flamma ardens et lucens (‘ a flame that enlightens and enlivens’).
Goals and Objectives
- To prepare and develop socially committed and value oriented leaders for the society.
- To provide quality education to those aspiring from among socially, economically, culturally and educationally disadvantaged in the region.
- To prepare and mould honest citizens of character committed to transforming society through career programmes.
- To advance the love for learning through teaching, research and innovative modes of self-learning.
The financial policy is evolved by the institution for optimum use of resources for the achievement of various objectives of the institution in accordance with the Vision and Mission and trust deed of the institution.
Objectives of Finance Manual
The financial policy of the institution intends to achieve the following objectives:
- Prudent and effective management of financial resources.
- Honesty and transparency in all aspects of financial management and financial reporting.
- To comply with the legal requirements of various Acts.
- Documentation of income and expenditure, assets and liabilities, banking requirements, budgeting, internal controls, reporting etc.
- To present report to the management, donors, stake holders, beneficiaries and to the government.
- To execute project according to the terms of conditions of the donor and to achieve the goal of the project.
- To ensure desirable standards of accountability and credibility of the institution in the use of funds entrusted to it.
- To deliver maximum benefits at minimal cost.
- To practice standard according practices in the management of financial resources.
1.2 Amendment and Amendment Form
Whenever there is an amendment to this manual the same shall be recorded in the format attached herein.